[BC] Yet another HD ... XM HD

Stan Tacker stacker
Mon Aug 28 23:12:37 CDT 2006

I agree with Rich.  Using the term HD in connection with satellite radio has
a better chance of success than applying it to IBUZ.  Satellite radio has
had more ramp-up time.

I ran the term HD radio past a friend of mine who is a local TV station GM.
I asked, "Do you know what it is?"  No.  He had seen the ads, but didn't get
the message.  This guy is a pro, yet he is focused on TV, not radio and the
Dominion's message hasn't trickled down.

Now, this guy is a gadget freak.  There is nothing that has appeared on the
shelves of Best Buy, or Circuit City, without his personal testing (and
eventual return).  I put on my best HD Cheerleader face and described the
system.  I asked if he would buy it.  Answer, "no way."  Reason: too much
content already available.  Any interest in multicast?  Nope...FM SCA
already exists.  Harsh but honest assessment.

Stan

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Rich Wood
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 10:23 PM
To: Broadcasters' Mailing List
Subject: Re: [BC] Yet another HD ... XM HD

------ At 07:39 PM 8/28/2006, Bruce Potterton wrote: -------

>I just got a new Crutchfield catalog and on p. 15 they have some Yamaha
>Home Theater receivers that claim "XM HD" Capable  that seem to be the
>way they are marketing XM Radio's Surround Sound.   So we have HD TV,
>HD Radio and now XM HD;  when do we get HD laundry soap?

Actually, it's a very smart marketing move. XM has so much more
quality marketing clout than the HD Dominion that they'll usurp the
term HD as it applies to radio in no time. People with HDTV already
expect 5.1 surround. Add it to satellite radio and IBUZ will have to
find another name or settle for promoting the competition. Again, too
little, too late for IBUZ.

Rich