[BC] Re: HD Radio and its definition

Xmitters@aol.com Xmitters
Sun Aug 27 07:34:51 CDT 2006

In a message dated 8/26/06 12:43:54 PM Central Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

<< there is a station in new york that every hour in its legal ID states
 "broadcasting in high definition"  I cringe every time I hear it.

Why do you cringe? What does HD stand for? I called a broadcast equipment
manufacturer and they referred to HD as High Definition.  I attended the PREC
convention in Vegas this year and someone (organization) that clearly should have
known better, referred to HD as High definition. I do not understand why this
is an issue. If people are adopting HD Radio as meaning  High Definition,
then why not roll with it? There is all kinds of marketing technobabble out
there, like RMS power when referring to audio amplifiers, for example.

Why not be happy that people are at least talking about HD Radio?

What makes me cringe is seeing a wide screen TV screen that is fed 4:3 aspect
video. It makes a skinny person look grossly overweight. it amazes me what
the public is willing to pay for; stretched TV images, dropped calls on their
cell phone and crappy quality when the cell connection holds up.

Apparently, all you need is a Wow factor to sell technology. Actual technical
quality as we think of it, does not matter to the public. Wow factor and
status is what sells technology.

Jeff Glass
Northern Illinois University