[BC] Seedy Quality in IBUZ Ads

Robert Orban rorban
Sat Aug 26 23:06:57 CDT 2006

At 07:19 PM 8/26/2006, you wrote:
>From: "Mark Humphrey" <mark3xy at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [BC] Seedy Quality in IBUZ Ads
>
>On 8/26/06, Richard Fry <rfry at adams.net> wrote:
> >
> > If HD FM sounds better than analog FM, isn't that related at least in part
> > to the relative distortion of the modulation processors used to feed the FM
> > analog and HD exciter inputs?
>
>That's exactly the problem -- most FM processors must employ some form
>of clipping to maintain high legal modulation, as necessary to
>maximize the audio signal-to-noise ratio at the receiver.  To me,
>clipping is sort of like capitalism -- it has a lot of drawbacks, but
>I guess it's the best alternative we've found so far!
>
>Most FM processors can be set up to eliminate clipping, and the
>pre-emphasis limiting can also be defeated.  However, if the output is
>also set to keep peak modulation within legal limits, the "apparent"
>noise floor on a typical receiver will increase *at least* 10 dB, and
>with some program material as much as 15 or 20.  This wouldn't be a
>major problem if all receivers were fed a nice, strong,
>dead-full-quieting signal, but sadly that's not the case in the real
>world.
>
>When I was attending high school near Syracuse, back in the early
>'70s, the local 107.9 was a "purist" classical station called WONO.
>They used no processing whatsoever -- the studio console fed directly
>into a pair of equalized phone lines, which fed the stereo generator/
>transmitter several miles away -- which meant their modulation
>(including stereo pilot) typically hovered around 15 to 25%.   With an
>outside antenna and high-quality tuner, their signal could sound
>nearly as quiet as the recording --- but on many portable receivers or
>car radios, the background noise was quite objectionable.
>
>Nice idea in theory, but it just didn't work in practice.

Yep.

Even with minimal peak limiting, the average modulation of a typical major
market FM station would have to be decreased anywhere from 6-10 dB (program
material dependent) to achieve no audible HF loss caused by preemphasis
limiting. No commercial broadcaster is going to take that kind of hit.

Then there is the whole multipath distortion issue. There is a reason why
it was virtually impossible to do an FCC mandated proof of performance from
a remote receiver back in the day. Even when the signal is not falling
apart audibly, measurements typically show surprisingly high THD. The fact
that FM listening subjectively satisfies a lot of people says something
about the human ear's insensitivity to small amounts of nonlinear
distortion. But if FM were the "new technology," people on this list would
be making sarcastic cracks like, "That newsfangled FM system works really
well -- as long as you can connect your receiver directly to the
transmitter's sampling loop! But in the real world of mobile, there's
nothing but spitting, picket-fencing, random blasts of multipath
distortion, and a stereo image that's constantly expanding and contracting
as the receiver blends. Great system, that FM!"

Bob Orban

Bob Orban