[BC] Recovering from disasters

RokprtMike@aol.com RokprtMike
Sat Aug 26 02:08:20 CDT 2006

In a message dated 8/20/2006 7:22:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:
Enough of the city isn't subscribed to cable so stations scrambled to
do short LMAs to keep a signal on the air. WLIW (21) in Garden City,
as I recall, was used by one station for a short time. I was
surprised to find commercial programming on WLIW. Does the FCC
require an official waiver for a non-comm in cases of emergencies like these?

When the WTC tower was hit in 1993, a phone call or telegram would
suffice. AT NBC that was taken care of by Lou Libin instant STA's.

WNBC went up on a spare cable bird with a scroll on all of the RCA/GE
spacecraft with instructions on where to find the station. Instant
Superstation.

We also had a LPTV station set up on Channel 4 from what is now the
roof of the Fox Building where NBC uplinks the network from. It was
commando TV at its best!

Mike Hemeon

  - - - -
You are reading the BROADCAST Mailing List for broadcast professionals:

This mailing list is also available in digest form (messages are
combined into a "digest" ... which can be helpful if you want to
reduce the load on your "in-box").

TO SUBSCRIBE or UNSUBSCRIBE:

**** FOR CHANGES IN SERVICE