[BC] FCC commissioner says "we may have gone too far" on indecency

Rich Wood richwood
Fri Aug 25 20:33:46 CDT 2006

------ At 02:04 PM 8/25/2006, Sid Schweiger wrote: -------

>BROADCASTING AND CABLE reports that ADELSTEIN, who agreed with the
>rest of the Commissioners that "the government has a legitimate
>interest in protecting children from indecent and overly commercial
>content," fretted that the Omnibus order does not provide
>broadcasters with a "coherent and principled framework" and that the
>overreaching may jeopardize the ability of the FCC to do any
>regulation of indecency ("We may forever lose the ability to prevent
>the airing of indecent material, barring an unlikely constitutional
>amendment setting limits on the First Amendment").

I'm sure his comments will be used in the first First Amendment test
of the vagueness of the FCC's rules on indecency. I'll bet most of
the attorneys who'll have to fight to retain the Commission's hold on
indecency regulation rushed out to stock up on Pepto Bismol.

Rich