[BC] RDS Receiver/Tuner

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Thu Aug 24 18:23:46 CDT 2006

In a message dated 08/24/2006 09:46:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
johnbuffaloe at bext.com writes:

> Denon TU1500RDP also.  http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=TU1500RDP

That looks like a nifty unit... but some of the text they use is "odd".

Here's an example from the PDF Spec sheet:
"The TU1500RDP has four-stage variable capacitors in its front end
to guarantee accurate tuning of station frequencies. Thanks to the use
of a large-capacity microprocessor in the tuning section, reception drift
is eliminated."

That sure doesn't sound like it's geared to the station Engineer, but rather
to Joe 6-pack. I wonder if Joe 6-pack even knows what "reception drift" is,
anymore? Besides, what does a "large capacity microprocessor" have to do with
frequency stability? <g> (This doesn't quite look like "Japanglish" either.) It
reminds me of those computer speakers rated "180 watts PMPO" that are powered
by a 12v 800ma wall wart.

I'm also curious about the 4-stage vari-caps... is that 4 sections on AM and
4 on FM? or just two, each?

Thinking of tuners... I'm using a rental car, while mine's in the shop. It's
a Kia Optima, stock radio/CD player. Interesting thing, the AM receiver seems
to be better than the FM! The audio quality is quite good, not muddy, and the
sensitivity is decent. On FM, though, the sensitivity is very poor! Stations
that are crystal clear on my car radio are very choppy and drop-out to white
noise on this one.

One of these days, I might end up renting a car with an IBUZ radio... but
then again, maybe not.

Willie...