[BC] A Pig in a Polk

Rich Wood richwood
Wed Aug 23 19:34:07 CDT 2006

------ At 02:53 PM 8/14/2006, Mark Humphrey wrote: -------

>Another radio spot demonstrates that "farts" sound better in HD.
>Apparently, this is OK under the FCC's indecency guidelines -- yet,
>"Timtron", WA1HLR was recently reprimanded by Riley Hollingsworth for
>transmitting the sound of bodily functions in a ham band!

It's much easier than writing really great material. The upside is
that, with most of the current IBUZ receivers AM reception isn't very
good, so the spots probably won't run there. I had the chance to play
with the Polk receiver the other day and, believe it or not, its AM
section is far worse than the BA Receptor with both receivers side by
side. This time I wasn't able to disconnect the rooftop FM antenna,
so I have no idea how well it works without an outdoor antenna. This
receiver certainly isn't worth $600. I was hoping for better from a
high end manufacturer like Polk. Even though it's the layered display
it displays more information in a single scroll. It's audio is also
very bottom heavy.

So far, the Kenwood tuner and Yamaha receivers (both expensive and
nowhere near portable) are the best performing. The JVC isn't
available here and noone has the Alpine tuner connected.

A bit of good news: the BA Receptor is flying off the shelves so fast
(3 in 5 months) that the price has been reduced to $254, locally.

The Revolution continues!

Rich