[BC] Re: Any manned transmitter sites left? - Transmitter with a bidet?

Linc c310driver
Wed Aug 23 09:10:25 CDT 2006

I believe I was the last tenant at the WOWK-TV transmitter apartment,
leaving in September 1980.  Only two of us ever lived there. Ed Gurney lived
there for over 20 years, then Joan and I for little over 2 1/2.

It was a good deal, the only bill I had was my long distance phone bill, and
the IRS did not consider living in an apartment at a transmitter or gas
pipeline income.  I received a reasonable salary, and my wife worked in the
locomotive shops of the Chessie system as a machinist, so we probably had
more disposable income at that time than we had until years later, maybe
ever!

We remodeled the apartment while we were there; adding a bidet to the
bathroom.... so there in rural West Virginia is probably the only radio or
TV transmitter site in the world with both a commode and bidet!  Probably
should be in the Guinness Book of World Records.

For those not familiar with a bidet see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidet

During the mid-1970's I did some consulting for WWBZ (now dark) in Vineland,
NJ.  They were manned during the hours they were directional.  They were 1
kW, so even though in the NJ marshes there were still manned sites, to see a
1 kW station have the expense of an engineer at the transmitter (not a combo
man) was a real surprise.

Linc