[BC] Any manned transmitter sites left?

Mark Humphrey mark3xy
Tue Aug 22 20:06:21 CDT 2006

On 8/22/06, DHultsman5 at aol.com <DHultsman5 at aol.com> wrote:

> I recall reading an article in the old AM/FM/TV News about that site,
> written in about 1949 or '50.  The site was totally power by three generators and
> they accepted a load of diesel fuel nearly every week during the  summer months
> into fall to keep the tanks topped off as there was no way to get a truck up
> there in the winter.

Dave,

Are you thinking of either of these articles?

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ggninfo/52.htm

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ggninfo/15.htm

I also seem to recall that WROV-FM, which "moved in" to Roanoke from
Martinsville, VA back in the '80s, also had to truck diesel fuel to a
mountaintop site (further north along the Blue Ridge Parkway) because
it was too expensive to bring in utility power.  Anyone know the
story?

Mark