[BC] Any manned transmitter sites left?

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Tue Aug 22 15:22:45 CDT 2006

In a message dated 8/22/2006 8:30:48 A.M. Central Standard Time,
craig1 at shianet.org writes:

WMIT,  Black Mountain, NC (2056 m AMSL), the Billy Graham station on
Clingmans  Knob, next to Mount Mitchell (highest point east of the
rockies) in  western North Carolina may very well still be manned.
Calling this a  remote site does not do it justice.  The top of the tower
(30 m) is  ten feet taller than Mount Mitchell so it is the highest point
east of the  rockies.

Craig Bowman

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Craig:

That site was manned for many years.  The last time I was up there  about 15
years ago it was not manned.  Since WMIT actually owns  the mountain the
state, feds,  ETV, other FM and loads of two-way services  lease space on their
towers.  Also since there is so much stuff up there  now, the forest service
probably has placed some priority on keeping the  road cleared after a snow storm.

I recall reading an article in the old AM/FM/TV News about that site,
written in about 1949 or '50.  The site was totally power by three  generators and
they accepted a load of diesel fuel nearly every week during the  summer months
into fall to keep the tanks topped off as there was no way to get  a truck up
there in the winter.

******IF anyone has access to any to that article about WMIT,  I sure  would
like a copy of it.  I had it for years but have probably lost it in  my
travels and moves.

THANKS

Dave Hultsman