[BC] Any manned transmitter sites left?

Dennis Jones dennis
Tue Aug 22 16:49:13 CDT 2006

Clingman's Peak. And there is a pretty nice apartment/emergency
quarters there. Our transmitters are in the same building and our
main antenna is on their aux tower. What's so remote? 3 1/2 hour
drive in good weather...fog freezing on the
horizontal....bears....ice blocks the size of a VW Bug falling off
the grids....Mike Dwinell and crew are the best landlords you could
ask for. Of course...at 6500',17.5K gets me to Athens GA to the
south, west of Knoxville, just shy of Winston-Salem in the east,
north to VA;plus all of Greenville/Spartanburg SC and Charlotte NC.

>WMIT, Black Mountain, NC (2056 m AMSL), the Billy Graham station on
>Clingmans Knob, next to Mount Mitchell (highest point east of the
>rockies) in western North Carolina may very well still be manned.
>Calling this a remote site does not do it justice.  The top of the
>tower (30 m) is ten feet taller than Mount Mitchell so it is the
>highest point east of the rockies.<<<<<<<<<
>

>Craig Bowman

Dennis Jones
WNCW-FM Technical Director
PO Box 804 Spindale NC 28160