[BC] Ignoring Station Procedures. "I Know Better"

Paul Smith W4KNX paul
Mon Aug 21 10:58:29 CDT 2006

When I was young, I remember remotes were a real production.  Most stations
owned a mobile studio.  Basically a trailer with a glass enclosure small
console, turntables cart machines etc, so the public could watch the DJ spin
records, and do what they do.  They would have interviews with the people
who sponsored the remote.  The audio was usually sent via Marti RPU so that
it was nice and clean.  I remember a station I was with early on would have
me tow the trailer over to where the remote would be the day before, set up
the Marti and check the audio path and have it ready.  It was also good
advertising for both the client and the station.  For those remotes beyond
the range of the RPU, we also had an acoustic coupler for a phone line.  If
needed we could run a phone extension out from the client and do the remote
over the phone line.  Today, stations send out a station van with a few
helium balloons, maybe a blow up balloon and some speakers set to blast the
stations audio.  Then the talent uses a cell phone to promote the remote.
Cell Phone audio no matter how you process it almost always sounds terrible.
I've always thought to myself that I would never pay for something like
this....  But maybe I'm getting old

Paul Smith
W4KNX
Sarasota, FL