[BC] Ignoring Station Procedures. "I Know Better"

Rockwell Smith rockwell
Sun Aug 20 22:13:53 CDT 2006

I think the original intent of the original post got lost somewhere.  I
thought what was being pointed out was people making ridiculous requests
without understanding the real procedure.  To cut 7 spots when only 5 will
run was considered a waste of time and resources.  Lazy, maybe.  Efficient,
yes.  I constantly have to second-guess and correct stupid errors by sales
people.  It's part of my job.  I am in charge of scheduling all the
board-ops, techs, and equipment for all remotes on 6 stations.  True, only
four generally do remotes, but still, we have had as many as 11 remotes in
one day since some stations will book multiple remotes in a day.  Sending us
to the wrong address, asking for non-existent equipment or not confirming
with the client we are actually supposed to be there are very common, and
best if sorted out in advance.  Many times an agency books a remote for a
client with multiple stores, and never tells the store we are coming.
So...I do change orders when needed.  And I do inform sales when they make
an error.   And I still have my job because if I didn't save their butts
when they mess up we would lose business.  I have told all my remote techs
it is our job to make the sales guy look good no matter how dumb the request
was.  And, I always make sure the client is happy.  Have I ever screwed up?
Yes, but we scrambled and got it going anyway.  On the other hand, I'm not
going to have my guys put inflatables up where they are traffic hazards or
will get into power lines.  I'm not going to do a remote where we are giving
away concert tickets in a parking lot that is under construction and not
safe to walk across.  Each situation has its own points for discussion.
This thread really got unraveled somewhere.

Rockwell Smith
Radio Engineering Manager
Journal Broadcast Group - Idaho
KJOT,  KQXR,  KRVB,  KTHI,  KGEM-AM,  KCID-AM
(208) 344-3511 - Main      (208) 947-5624 - Direct Line
(208) 947-6765 -Fax         (208) 869-6413 - Cell
Email:      rockwellsmith at journalbroadcastgroup.com
Personal website: http://www.engineer-exchange.com