[BC] Ignoring Station Procedures. "I Know Better"

Rich Wood richwood
Sun Aug 20 20:30:03 CDT 2006

------ At 06:23 PM 8/20/2006, Jeff Allen wrote: -------

>I don't see why the production person had the schedule anyway.  I've never
>worked for a station that you get the Production order and the schedule.
>It's always just been the Copy, run dates, cart number, what station and
>dubs to other stations if any.  The schedule is not Production department's
>concern.

Agreed. That's why it seemed so strange that an announcer would have
access to any more information than you mention. Without information
about the full or potential buys, merchandisng, remotes and the
relationship between the salesperson and the buyer he couldn't know
what was in the works.

"Good enough for government work" is turning into "Good enough for radio work."

One of the reasons I'm latching on to this is that a couple of weeks
ago Barry posted comments and questions about broadcast
irresponsibility. He was almost completely ignored.  No one seemed to
care that the basic responsibility to do no harm was passe. So long
as it gets ratings, anything goes. I've always thought that good
comedy doesn't prey on people. Now we get laughs by making targeted
listeners look and feel like jerks.

We become irresponsible on the air and irresponsible as employees and
we get people coming out of the woodwork to justify it. The last two
50Kw stations I've worked for felt they had an almost sacred
responsibility to listeners. I know just as many of my WOR Network
affiliates who felt the same way, regardless of power or market size.

As far as internal procedures are concerned, just ask Tom Ray at WOR
how hard engineering and traffic worked with the traffic software
people to get a new update running. To have either production or
talent intentionally screw up commercial scheduling would have caused
the owner to go on a justifiable rampage. Not a pretty sight.

It's disappointing.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia