[BC] Interesting sign-offs and Tech Difficulties

Bob Foxworth rfoxwor1
Sun Aug 20 11:33:22 CDT 2006

> That person got fired because the Empire lease had an auto renew
clause.
> The letter cancelling the lease was not sent in on time, the lease
renewed and
> they got fired for it. WCBS decided to leave an old clunker
transmitter there
> as a third aux, rather then tossing it out.
>
> By the way, Empire saved their butts TWICE - the first time being when
the van
> was blown up in the basement of the north tower. All the other
stations were
> off for a day - but WCBS flipped on Empire and was back on the air....

>    The rumor has had it for a long time that WCBS was still at the
Empire
> when the WTC attacked occured, seemingly due to someone "accidentaly"
> renewing the Empire lease, and supposedly, that person lost their job
> over that issue.
>
>    Is this true, and if so, has CBS hired that person back after 9-11,
or
> at least said "Thank-you"?

A few days after 9/11 happened I heard Limbaugh marveling
at news that Dan Rather's NYC ratings were so much higher (for
the evening news) than the opposition. I took this to be due to
Channel 2 (WCBS TV) remaining available over-the-air, while the
competition was only available on cable. However I never heard him
address that point. As I was out of the NY area, I could not directly
confirm that.

Was this in fact true?

- Bob