[BC] Interesting sign-offs

Stan Tacker stacker
Fri Aug 18 21:55:15 CDT 2006

Years ago, a daytimer in this market on 1050 used to promote Rancho De
Monterey prior to sign off.  The local went away at sunset, XEG boomed in...

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of WFIFeng at aol.com
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2006 9:13 PM
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: Re: [BC] Interesting sign-offs

In a message dated 08/18/2006 7:09:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bobgroome at yahoo.com writes:

 > There was the 5 kW AM Daytimer I chiefed in FLA who SOLD their sign off.
 > Something like ' the next 12 hours of quiet brought to you by Mather
 > Furniture inviting you to sleep on a Beautyrest tonight".

I heard of one that sold the sign-off to a funeral home. Appropriate, to say
the least!

A very interesting sign-off used to happen right here at WFIF.

Because we were being hounded (to put it mildly) by a very persistant
pirate,
I devised a "perfect solution" which completely eliminated all listener
calls: White noise. Sixty seconds of it. Right after our normal
sign-off message,
that noise would blast (100% modulation). In a way, it made us sound like
when
an FM station signs-off. A friend of mine used to joke that we were
steam-powered, and that was when we released the pent-up steam
pressure at the end of
the day. ;)

It worked, though... it provided a very "annoying" buffer, which made our
listeners turn off their radios before he could fire-up his transmitter.
This
went on from 1989 through 1994! We finally ended up silencing him by winning
civil lawsuit against him. There has been blissful peace ever since.

Willie...