[BC] How to be loud on the dial

Thomas G. Osenkowsky tosenkowsky
Thu Aug 17 14:27:03 CDT 2006

> >But should the XLRs be mounted with pins 1 and 2 up -- or down?
>          You shouldn't need to ask.. Since Willie is
>          our local purveyor of smiley faces on
>          everything, of course he wants them "up" ...
>          so the plugs and sockets all look like
>          smiley faces.

For Willie's particular transmitter, the optimal cusp
may indeed be "up". For other transmitters, however,
the optimal sideband impedance rotation may be
45, 90 or 180 degrees displaced. This depends on
where the impedance sweep is measured.

The device in question is an overkill of what I found
to be a simple modification to digital audio processors.
For example, I shunted R604 (the release time resistor)
in an Optimod 8200 with the E-C (C to gnd) of a hand
selected 2N3391 transistor. The junction effect closely
replicated the Rane sound and produced an apparent
3.141592653589793 db increase in perceived loudness
with no increase in audible distortion.

This is only applicable to digital processors, NOT analog.
One day I'll try this with a vacuum tube instead of the 2N3391.

Tom Osenkowsky, CPBE