[BC] A Pirate Loop Hole?

Rich Wood richwood
Wed Aug 16 11:35:49 CDT 2006

------ At 05:29 PM 8/15/2006, Mark Humphrey wrote: -------

>And I understand the console aboard that pirate ship came out of a
>station where you used to work, Rich.  It was an RCA BC-7 that had
>supposedly been donated to a local college, but somehow got diverted
>to Allan, then confiscated by the Feds... and I'll leave it at that!

Hmm. Now you've piqued my curiosity. I remember a GE, Western
Electric, Langevin, several Pacific Recorders, Neve, MCI, McMartin,
Logitech, Wheatstone and Sparta. There's one possibility but the RCA
was in Master Control, not in the air studio. Actually, there were
two RCAs in Master Control. The RCAs were operated only by our
in-house union engineers. This station had an in-house bargaining
group rather than a regular union. I know they were still there when
I left. The station I'm thinking of was in a major New England market
and didn't run commercials.

I remember a great conversation with an engineer who once worked for
Radio Caroline. It was a terrible threat to the dull BBC. They
actually played contemporary music rather than bird calls.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia
Phone: 413-454-3258