[BC] A Pirate Loop Hole?

Robert Meuser Robertm
Tue Aug 15 12:17:16 CDT 2006

Pirate Radio is old hat. In the UK and Holland  there were a number of
stations operating at up to 100 KW.  The problem was that eventually
laws were passed that prevented anyone from advertising on the station
or providing support, such as transport, fuel, food and other supplys.
So while the operation on the high seas was untouchable, the support
from land ultimately was. Also, these ships lost anchor on occasion. If
they drifted into sovereign waters, they were seized.

In the US there were a few attempts with pirate ships. In my opinion
they were not properly implemented. They were not far enough out and did
not operate with high enough power. US territorial waters extend 12
miles. As far as I can determine, a ship would have to be well beyond
that distance. Even with sea water, you need some serious power if you
want to penetrate a coastal city.