[BC] XLR Connector wiring and phase...

Barry Mishkind barry
Mon Aug 14 09:57:42 CDT 2006

At 03:20 AM 8/14/2006, Bruce Doerle wrote
>          In far too many cases, I've noticed "talent" seems
>          unwilling to listen in mono.  It isn't as "enjoyable."
>          Hence, many of the stations I've seen run either
>          off air stereo ... or worse ... program line.
>
>With IBOC, you really don't have any other choice than to monitor off
>the program line.

         Plenty of choices.
         ... a "switched" monitor system ... either
         manually or periodically flipping to air.

         ... the output of an audio processor (to
         compress the audio) which is then
         mono'd down.

         ... the program line, similarly mono'd

         ... a meter or scope or other indication
         of lack of stereo content in phase.

         ... a short lift - 8 seconds - from Dr. Who for
         the off-air circuit. If the Tardis is not
         having a bad day, the blending should
         be perfect.

Barry Mishkind     -       Tucson, AZ    -   520-296-3797