[BC] Long Wave Broadcasting /was/ WLW related historical question

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Mon Aug 14 04:34:45 CDT 2006

On 13 Aug 2006 at 23:10, Kevin Tekel wrote:

> These days, land values and NIMBY concerns would make setting up any kind
> of longwave communications infrastructure prohibitively difficult.  Even
> in countries where LW is a firmly established broadcasting band, this can
> be a challenge.  Back in the '90s, a 2000-foot longwave tower in Poland
> fell down, and could not be rebuilt because local farmers complained about
> the RF radiation (we already get problems with that at 50 kW, so try
> putting a 2000 kW transmitter in someone's backyard!).

As Dr. Breakall has shown, vertical radiators are not the only means of
transmission.

Digital signals such as DRM might usefully extend range without resorting
to extreme super power.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037