[BC] Re: WLW related historical question

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Sun Aug 13 18:34:32 CDT 2006

On 7 Aug 2006 at 20:36, Jeffrey Kopp wrote:

> If I could ask a couple naive questions, I wonder why longwave
> has never been used for broadcasting in the US, or if it was
> even ever considered.

Originally, low frequency was allocated to aviation navigation,
and many low powered homing beacons remain on the air although
their numbers are becoming fewer and fewer.

With the movement of maritime and aviation from LF, and little
other use for the band, it would make sense to open it to
regional and national broadcasting, but that may make too much
sense.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037