[BC] Fused plugs - was Hot and grounded chassis

Jim Wood, C.P.E.W. electrojim
Sun Aug 13 17:47:38 CDT 2006

On 8/12/06, Dave Riddle Eng. <enginr at iglou.com> wrote:
> The correct installation is ground-down. UNLESS it is known that the
> ground
> wire is non-existent, then it goes ground up.

    Not the way I heard it.  It sure looks nice with the ground on the
bottom,
and maybe that's why nearly every outlet I've ever seen is installed that
way.
But I heard somewhere that ground should be on top because, if the plug
is partly out of the socket, anything metallic falling behind furniture,
etc.
will not short out hot and neutral.  ALSO... take a look in any hospital and
I'll bet you'll find ground always on top.
    But then.... so what?  Between UL, CE and RoHS, we won't have anything
electrical in a couple of years to worry about.

Jim Wood
Brea, CA