[BC] Audiometrics CD-10 E

Gary Peterson kzerocx
Sun Aug 13 08:58:12 CDT 2006

" Hi everyone, When putting a CD into the cartridge and
attempting to play them on the CD-10E, I receive an
error "ERR 85"  What does that mean?  I can't find a
manual at my radio station nor can I find online.  Any
help would be much appreciated.  Craig "

I am not at work and, therefore, cannot look in the CD-10 service manual.
It contains a list of error codes and probable causes.

However, most of the "Err" displays, I have encountered, are due to one of
two things :

1)  The optical assembly rides on a wheel, on one side, and a rail on the
other.  Lack of lubrication on the rail will make it difficult for the
optics/laser to go to the proper location in order to read the table of
contents.  Coat the rail with a silicone based lubricant.  I have used both
Caig Mechanic-All and Penny & Giles fader lube.  If you have never removed
the mechanical portion of the CD-10, I would be glad to talk you through it.
It isn't all that difficult.

2)  There is a tiny slide switch near the top of one of the circuit boards
that selects crystals.  One is for normal speed and the other causes
playback to be pitched up 2%.  This switch can fail to make proper contact.
Note the position of the switch, shoot some Caig De-Ox-It or GC De-Ox-Id
into it and flick it back and forth with a small screwdriver several times.
Leave it in its original position.

Whenever I have a CD-10 disassembled, I do both of the above and also clean
the laser lens with a cotton swab dipped in Kodak camera lens cleaner,
followed with a dry swab.  Be extremely gentle with the lens as the tiny
springs that suspend it could be damaged.  Treat it as if it were *your*
eyeball.

Gary Peterson, K?CX
Rapid City, SD
605 - 718 - 6888