[BC] Fused plugs - was Hot and grounded chassis

Dave Riddle Eng. enginr
Sat Aug 12 11:54:13 CDT 2006

"And while we're on the topic, sort of... do the holes in the prongs of an
AC plug serve any purpose?  I suppose they could be used to lock a plug in
place, but I've never seen any AC outlets with that feature.  I have seen
some items which do not have these holes in the AC prongs, but that is
rare."

Okay. Time to chime in here.  The holes clean the receptacle contacts as the
plug is inserted or removed.

The correct installation is ground-down. UNLESS it is known that the ground
wire is non-existent, then it goes ground up.

As far as children poking things in a smiley-face socket, teach your kids
not to do that or become Darwin-Award contestants.

Metal falling on partially exposed live pins?  Is a house that cluttered?
Got breakers?

Dave Riddle