[BC] Fused plugs - was Hot and grounded chassis

Mark Humphrey mark3xy
Fri Aug 11 09:28:00 CDT 2006

On 8/11/06, DHultsman5 at aol.com <DHultsman5 at aol.com> wrote:

> While we are on the subject of polarized household AC receptacles and  plugs.
>  What does the NEC actually call for in the placement within the  wall box?
> Ground pin on top or ground pin on bottom?

I don't have a current NEC book in front of me, but I think the ground
pin should go on top, to lessen the chance of a short (across the hot
and neutral pins) in case a metallic object should fall in between a
partially-inserted plug and the receptacle.

Also, this orientation avoids resemblance of a "face" and might
discourage kids from sticking pins in the "eyes".  Poking the right
eye can be quite painful.

Mark