[BC] Fused plugs - was Hot and grounded chassis

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Fri Aug 11 09:04:39 CDT 2006

In a message dated 8/11/2006 8:36:28 A.M. Central Standard Time,
pchristensen at ieee.org writes:

But if  you look that the evolution of older, non-polarized home wiring, many

times you never knew which side was truly neutral and no third-pin ground
existed -- which gave way to early equipment manufacturers double-fusing
their line cords.

Paul

While we are on the subject of polarized household AC receptacles and  plugs.
 What does the NEC actually call for in the placement within the  wall box?
Ground pin on top or ground pin on bottom?

I have seen it in residence and commercial buildings both ways and they  were
consistant in the buildings.  I have asked a couple of electricians in  the
past and one told me that the ground pin was supposed to be on the top but  no
one installed them that way.

What does the NEC say??

Dave