[BC] AM IBOC In The Dallas / Fort Worth Market

Robert Orban rorban
Thu Aug 10 18:20:38 CDT 2006

At 02:34 PM 8/10/2006, you wrote:
>From: "Paul Smith W4KNX" <paul at amtower.com>
>Subject: Re: [BC] AM IBOC In The Dallas / Fort Worth Market
>
>Dont music formatted AM stations have the ability to go to 6 khz audio or
>even slightly higher with some loss of redundency?
>I know recently, I rented a new Lincoln Town Car and the AM section didnt
>sound much better than telephone quality as far as the audio is concerned.
>Really really bad.  No excuse for it in my opinion.  I wonder what the real
>analog bandwidth of some of those IBOC receivers are?  Maybe really
>restricted, which of course would make the digital sound much better.  If
>they are blending back and forth between digital and analog, that sounds a
>lot like early AM stereo with it's problems.  The consumer will never
>tolerate it.  Had I bought a new 40K car and the radio sounded that bad, I
>would return the car.

Actually, one of the radios with the widest analog bandwidth in the recent
NRSC tests was the Panasonic CD/MP3/WMA, which is an HD radio. And one of
the narrowest was a JVC HD radio. Go figure...

Bob Orban