[BC] Re: Blacklisting in Broadcast Engineering

PeterH5322 peterh5322
Thu Aug 10 17:38:30 CDT 2006

>Any employer  who releases the kind of information suggested here could
>face litigation if there is a dispute over the circumstances of the
>termination.  Every supervising manager to a person who I hold in high
>regard never openly discusses departure scenarios unless there is no chance
>the discussion results in a grey area legally.  It's up to hiring manager
>to filter out the chafe and make gut decisions.

Without question.

>Past employers who simply state the person was employed from date one to
>date two and say no more, even if pressed, are sending a clear message to
>me.  Nothing more needs to be said.

Absolutely, and why inquiries about previous employees who departed on
less than favorable terminations were ALWAYS handled by HR, not by the
last manager.

It is relatively safe to state that an employee was terminated for
committing a felony on-site, if a guilty verdict was subsequently
determined, but even that is subject to possible litigation.

Most prospective employers know the realities of our litigious society,
and, therefore, only resort to "fishing" ... such as contacting the
previous manager directly, rather than HR ... if the application "smells
fishy", hoping to gain some intel beyond the usual.

If I cannot say something positive about a former employee, I will say
nothing at all, and will leave the HR rep the responsibility of giving
the de-facto "name, dates of employment, and last job title" reply.