[BC] Question on Call Letters

SteveOrdinetz hykker
Thu Aug 10 06:18:12 CDT 2006

  Rich Wood wrote:

>I was an owner back then, too. I owned WRBW using a Knight-Kit Wireless
>Broadcaster. Years later when WOAI became an affiliate of mine I confessed
>to using 1200KHz. I actually "sold" time. The local record shop gave me a
>couple of 45s a week and the local theatre let me in free. WRBW was a
>"whatevertimer."
>
>Fortunately, I knew something about electricity or I's probably be toast.
>If the polarity was wrong the chassis was hot. The plug wasn't polarized.

Not sure about that particular unit, but a lot of "hot chassis" equipment
of that era for whatever reason the on/off switch was on the ground
lead...if the plug was in one way the chassis was hot when the equipment
was on, if it was reversed it was hot when off.  I wonder who the genius
was who thought of that...saw it on a lot of "All American 5" radios.