[BC] Re: BC[] Question on Call Letters

Bob Foxworth rfoxwor1
Mon Aug 7 22:27:05 CDT 2006

> >In Amateur Radio, we have callsigns in the USA that start with A, K,
N and
> >W, and some government utility HF stations' callsigns begin  with K,
N and
> >W.
> >Is this the same with broadcast stations?

> Given the NAA call, perhaps this was the first and only Navy medium
wave
> station. I know of no corresponding Army medium wave station, AAA.

There were a few that I recall, that were sometimes possible
to hear, from Army bases in the Caribbean. I recall AHD from
Ramey AFB, Puerto Rico on 780 with 50 watts that could be
heard on Mondays when they signed on, when WBBM was silent,
back in the 1960's.

There was ACA and ACB20 on 790 and 1420, one at each end of
the Panama Canal, "the southern command network". I heard
them both in 1964 but had to be on a ship passing through the
canal to do it. The 790 was heard very seldom in the US, I believe.
I am sure there are some others.  Some of the military stations
used "normal" call letters such as WGBY in Guantanamo Bay,
which can still be heard on 1340, unjammed, from the north
coast of Jamaica (if you're not detached to Gitmo proper, or on a
cruise ship).

Just for trivia, the US owns only the first half of that A-- block.
For instance, AP-- belongs to Pakistan. A2-- belongs to
Botswana, perhaps notable for being a place mentioned twice in
one day, on this very list.

Now back to your regularly scheduled HD discussion. Break's over.

- Bob