[BC] RA-=1000

Stan Tacker stacker
Mon Aug 7 21:19:35 CDT 2006

I recall that the RA-1000 had 845s driving the 833s on the modulator side.
Good 845s have become more rare than the RA-1000.  As I recall, those big
triodes were often used in movie theatre audio amps.

I retired a Gates BC-1F about three years ago, primarily because the 845s
were so flakey.  At the time, there were a handful of US made tubes
around...I think Cetec had them for about 400 bucks.  The Chinese tubes were
much cheaper but each purchase was a crap-shoot.

Stan

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Jim Tonne
Sent: Monday, August 07, 2006 7:44 PM
To: Broadcasters' Mailing List
Subject: Re: [BC] RA-=1000

Stan:

> The RA-1000 was a great rig.
> Looked great, sounded good.

When I found out that the station owner had purchased
"this thing", I decided I would try my hand at improving
it, without having even seen it.

After I saw the schematic, I got out my tube manuals,
slide rule (long time ago!), etc.

What a waste of time.  When I finally got it and installed
it, it nearly met FM proof.  Most impressive rig.  No
wonder the hams love them.

- JimT