[BC] Re: WLW related historical question

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Mon Aug 7 08:43:47 CDT 2006

In a message dated 8/6/2006 9:45:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
Xmitters at aol.com writes:

Aside  from that, however, the details get very sketchy.  Some say the  big
rig was kept in operational condition through the Cold War, although  in
that case "operational" might just be a nice way of saying "fully  intact",
as opposed to its current partially-dismanted  condition.

The group of Clear Channel Broadcasters, many of which had standing
applications for powers greater than 50 kW. on file with the FCC for many  years.
These stations even had meetings every year or so and lobbied  congress for
higher power.  Applications for 100 kW., 150 kW., 200 kW., 300  kW. and 500 kW.
were on file.  As I recall the commission once listed all  the applications on
file and their power levels for all of the remaining clear  channels.
If anyone has any of the old Clear Channel Broadcasters Association
newletters in their files, that may have been where I noted this at one of the
stations I worked in the past.

It may have been the mid 1960's before the Commission dismissed all
applications that were on hold and declared them moot.

Someone else may have better memories or data.   Roy  Stype???  Chime in if
around.

Dave Hultsman