[BC] Listening in the car

Rich Wood richwood
Sat Aug 5 14:24:46 CDT 2006

------ At 01:12 PM 8/5/2006, nakayle at gmail.com wrote: -------

>  Rich, you talk like what I said is blue-sky speculation.   For a year now
>I have subscribed to a number of podcasts (not streaming dups of broadcast
>stations) that are downloaded to my computer automatically and listen to
>them at my convenience throughout the day.

You completely missed my point. You must understand the difference
between streaming and Podcasting. With Podcasting you access a site,
pull down a file and you're gone. No constant load on the system.
This isn't awesome competition. In fact, smart broadcasters are
offering their own Podcasts and selling them as value-added parts of
advertising buys. I can watch/hear the evening news via Podcast.

>In fact Google lists 37,100,000 pages
>regarding podcasting so this is a giant industry growing by leaps and
>bounds.

Here we go with the "giant" PR stuff, again. You don't claim
37,100,000 Podcasts. You cite pages mentioning it. "Giant" industries
usually make profits. What's the current profit figure, not including
the full radio/TV and TV Network buys of which the Podcast is a part?

A Podcast usually is connected to something. Billy-Bob's ego driven
Podcast of how he wasted his day isn't part of a "giant" industry."
Billy-Bob's blog also might be an interesting diversion for a few
minutes, but it wears thin if you're not into reading personal diaries.

>So to say that this can't work just isn't true.  Its working for me
>and millions like me right now.  And the fact that I have not listened to
>local radio in months certainly shows that it can replace it.  I know you
>people in radio want to close their eyes to this new competition and that's
>your privilege but that won't stop it from happening.

See above. Us "people in radio" and TV are, probably, the largest
single group of contributors to Podcast content. It comes naturally.
What we do is produce content. I didn't say it can't work. What I
said was that WiMAX and other broadband wireless systems are unlikely
to be free and questioned whether or not they could supply the
capacity necessary to replace broadcasting. You chose to ignore all
of the above.

The other mistake I believe you're making is to suggest that a
particular technology completely replaces another. Most people listen
to radio, watch TV, surf the web and play games - some combination of
the list. You're making life a zero-sum game. It simply isn't. There
are nearly 300 million people in this country. Look at the ratings.
Most individual shows, even the highest rated, reach a tiny segment
of that population. That leaves a lot of people available to do other
things. Broadcasting has lived with that fact since day one and it's
still doing quite well, thank you. The industry is very healthy.

Sad to say, you don't represent the entire US population or ever
Podcast user. You represent you.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia