[BC] STL recommendation?

Mike McCarthy Towers
Fri Aug 4 10:03:51 CDT 2006

Andy...

Your desires are not that uncommon these days.  Interplex has the T-1
capability to do all of the above except a direct coupled PBX extension
unless it's a simple analog compliant port.  The video would need to be
heavily packetized and IP addressed for it to be carried by a single T-1.

You are going to be best off using a multi-T-1 microwave which would allow
your audio and telco functions to be used on one T-1 and the data (with the
video) on a second, third, etc.

There are unlicensed 5Ghz systems which can accommodate up to 4
T-1's.  There are a few which can also permit 100MB LAN bridge...which
would then permit VOIP and extension of switcher functions if the stations'
routing system uses a LAN topography.

Part 74 also has a section of spectrum which allows the 18Ghz band the be
used as a licensed service for Part 73 STL's.  The rules don't specify any
limits or restrictions on anything else beyond program audio.  There is
18Ghz equipment out there which creates LAN bridges and T-1's.  Whether
that equipment can provide an OC3 path (45MB), I don't know.  But the
systems are capable of at least 4 T-1's.

If the you go the microwave route...any type of system, I would STRONGLY
suggest diversity receivers given you are shooting over open water.

Be forewarned...sticker shock.  None of the above is cheap.  Unless there
are a lot of other things which can justify this type of financial outlay,
you may find it hard to cost justify all of the above desires.  Especially
the video unless you can accept reduced bit rate/packetized video at the
far end.

MM

At 09:55 PM 8/3/2006 -0700, Andrew Skotdal wrote