[BC] Early TV Audio Boards

Stan Tacker stacker
Thu Aug 3 21:57:54 CDT 2006

The Townsend transmitter at my station was installed and removed way before
my time.  However, I recall older engineers in the market describing the
installation as something of a hybrid.  The FM part of the TV installation
allegedly incorporated modified two-way type equipment at the exciter level.

If true, what a kludge!  Sounds like something I would try.

stan
-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Rich Wood
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2006 9:41 PM
To: Broadcasters' Mailing List
Subject: RE: [BC] Early TV Audio Boards

------ At 10:25 PM 8/3/2006, Stan Tacker wrote: -------

>Back in the early 70's, I worked for an AM/FM combo that used to run a UHF
>station on Channel 25.  They used a Townsend transmitter.

I remember watching the first Townsend transmitter being designed and
built in-place at WWLP-TV (22). It was at the top of Provin Mountain
in Agawam, MA - serving Springfield. The studios were up there, too.
It was a milder version of WMTW on Mt. Washington. Difficult to reach
in Winter. Folks often slept up there in bad weather to keep it on the air.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia
Phone: 413-454-3258