[BC] Flying off the shelves at a Radio Shack near you

Chuck Lakaytis chuck
Thu Aug 3 13:23:28 CDT 2006

It may be because the original design was South African.  There are a ton of
them up here used in fish camps etc.  The newer models have a jack for a
solar panel option.  Maybe these came from Crane?

Chuck Lakaytis
Director of Engineering
Alaska Public Broadcasting, Inc.
Anchorage, Alaska
907 277 6300
907 301 4339 (cell)

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Rich Wood
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2006 8:10 AM
To: Broadcasters' Mailing List
Subject: Re: [BC] Flying off the shelves at a Radio Shack near you

------ At 08:25 AM 8/3/2006, Robert Meuser wrote: -------

>The crank up totally analog radio.  Just bought the last one in the
>store. The salesman said they are selling briskly. It is AM FM and 2
>shortwave bands. 1010 WINS actually sounds better on this radio than
>880 WCBS does in digital on my Boston Acoustics. IBOC stations are a
>little hard to tune cleanly, but when the lights go out it will play
>till you can no longer crank it. Very retro.

I nearly bought one. This Summer has brought flooding and power
failures to New England. What I don't understand, for an "emergency
radio," why they chose shortwave over weather. Are they expecting
we'll have to pray during an emergency rather than know the flood
waters are on the way? Of course, Radio Uzbeckistan probably has more
news than my local stations.

Rich