[BC] Flying off the shelves at a Radio Shack near you

Rich Wood richwood
Thu Aug 3 11:11:58 CDT 2006

------ At 08:25 AM 8/3/2006, Robert Meuser wrote: -------

>The crank up totally analog radio.  Just bought the last one in the
>store. The salesman said they are selling briskly. It is AM FM and 2
>shortwave bands. 1010 WINS actually sounds better on this radio than
>880 WCBS does in digital on my Boston Acoustics. IBOC stations are a
>little hard to tune cleanly, but when the lights go out it will play
>till you can no longer crank it. Very retro.

I nearly bought one. This Summer has brought flooding and power
failures to New England. What I don't understand, for an "emergency
radio," why they chose shortwave over weather. Are they expecting
we'll have to pray during an emergency rather than know the flood
waters are on the way? Of course, Radio Uzbeckistan probably has more
news than my local stations.

Rich