[BC] 1000 foot tower for a dollar!

Mike McCarthy Towers
Thu Aug 3 11:27:06 CDT 2006

It is possible to have a combination.  We have a 700 ft. G-5 which is solid
leg for the bottom 500 ft. and tubular the top 200 ft.  Granted, this was a
sectionalized tower.  But it's not THAT uncommon if the engineering
supports the use of tube/pipe versus solid.

Also, Rohn 90 tower is tubular and is rated for something more than 1000 ft.

IIRC, the reason tubing fell out of favor was the fact the difference
between tube and solid leg was it was more costly to use XXS pipe than to
simply go with a smaller solid rod.  2nd, it was the wind load created by
the wider pipe.

MM

At 10:39 AM 8/3/2006 -0400, Cowboy wrote