[BC] Flying off the shelves at a Radio Shack near you

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Thu Aug 3 10:47:03 CDT 2006

In a message dated 08/03/2006 11:31:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
robertm at broadcast.net writes:

> The crank up totally analog radio.  Just bought the last one in the
>  store. The salesman said they are selling briskly. It is AM FM and 2
>  shortwave bands. 1010 WINS actually sounds better on this radio than 880
>  WCBS does in digital on my Boston Acoustics. IBOC stations are a little
>  hard to tune cleanly, but when the lights go out it will play till you
>  can no longer crank it. Very retro.

This must be a new version. I have a small, blue AM/FM only version. Not very
retro. ;) It will run for quite a while on 2 AA batteries (days), and
cranking it charges a pair of NiCad's which also last quite a while. A few minutes of
cranking generally gives a few hours of operation. Nice little "toy". I also
bought an LED flashlight that has a crank-generator. It was $15 a the Cracker
Barrel store. A few mins of cranking keeps it lit for quite a while.

Back in late 1999, I bought a modest solar panel (15v @ 1a) which I haven't
even needed. Thankfully. (Bought it for Y2K) I know it works, since I have
tested it several times over the years. I could use it to keep some gel cells
charged, and have white LED-based light that would last for many days per charge.

Here at the station, we have a couple of small, battery-powered light
fixtures, in case the juice goes off. Being a Daytimer, it's not too often anyone's
here past dark in summer, but in winter, there can be staff still working past
5pm.

Willie...