[BC] Personal protection (was other subjects)

Glen Kippel glen.kippel
Wed Aug 2 11:33:21 CDT 2006

On 8/2/06, Cowboy <curt at spam-o-matic.net> wrote:

>  I'd carry a large caliber weapon with low powered
> shot shells, commonly called snake loads.
> I'm not interested in taking a life !
> I'm not interested in inflicting damage of any kind.
> My interest is only in preventing damage from being inflicted on me.
> As such, snake loads allow one to "miss" and still hit the target, while
> at the same time inflicting minimal damage, but in close quarters will
> still inflict a great deal of pain, and a direct hit will still put a man
> down.
>
> A gun is an OFFENSIVE weapon, not a defense of any kind.
>
> Permanent solutions ( dead people ) are rarely good solutions to temporary
> problems !!
>
> While I choose to avoid a gun fight at any cost, only a blithering idiot
> brings a knife, or pepper spray, to a gun fight !
>
> I'm a target shooter.
> 5 inch paper at 30 yards, I rarely miss.
> Would I be that good under the kind of pressure where the target is
> shooting at me ?
> While I'd *like* to think so, the reality is probably not.
> It's a question I'd rather not know the answer.

While I disagree about a gun being an offensive weapon only -- guns can be,
and are, used for personal protection -- I agree with most of the above.  A
shotgun does not have to be aimed carefully to be effective, and when
someone is under pressure it is difficult to aim carefully.  My preference
would be for a Mossberg 500 with a bullpup stock.