[BC] An independent station owner

FrankGott@aol.com FrankGott
Tue Aug 1 19:19:02 CDT 2006

In a message dated 8/1/2006 7:26:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, WFIFeng at aol.com
writes:

<< > http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-saul19jul19,1,1495931,full.story

 This is a great article! I'm surprised by the lack of comments about it.  >>

Great article I just had to show my boss Bob Dickey.  He's a bit younger,
79-1/2, and says he's the oldest general manager of an all-news radio station.

He's a native Pittsburgher who rose through the ranks of the former
Westinghouse Broadcasting to run 1010WINS, where he helped develop their all news
format.

Taft hired him away when KQV switched from Top 40 to All News in 1975.  When
they wanted to change format in the mid-80's a local investor/news junky
helped him finance the purchase of the station.

Bob is very hands on and puts in a full days work every weekday.  He calls
the newsroom on weekends.  He's the staff editorialist, writes the daily poll
question, and is extremely involved with the business end as well.

While not at the top of the ratings the station is well respected and has a
loyal following over-the-air and online.  We had six reporters in the field
today.  Live interviews covered everything from the heat wave to Castro.  We are
staffed 24/7.

He's a good guy with several 20 year+ employees, including yours truly.

Will any thirty or fortysomethings be able to have a career like his in this
evolving industry?

Frank Gottlieb
News Director
1410 KQV Pittsburgh