[BC] Transmitter visits at insecure sites

Glen Kippel glen.kippel
Tue Aug 1 12:50:05 CDT 2006

------ Original Message ------
From: "cldube" < <mailto:cld at admin.umass.edu>cld at admin.umass.edu>

I'll bet we all have some interesting stories regarding strange encounters
at tx sites.

C. Dube
Amherst, MA

---------------

Back when I was doing contract work for KSNN, licensed to Los Banos,
CA, with the transmitter site south of Merced ... the place used to
be miles from anything, but then the county built a jail about a mile
behind the tower.  So, one night I'm doing some after-midnight
maintenance and I go out to the car to get my tool box, and I see a
couple of cars coming up Sandy Mush Road at a prodigious rate of
speed.  I go back to work, and the cars pull up outside.  A couple of
deputies get out and ask me what I am doing.  While tightening
connexions with a knuckle-buster I explain I'm the engineer and I do
maintenance at this time of night because they station loses fewer
listeners that way.  I just proceeded to look like I belonged there
and knew what I was doing until they got bored and went away.  They
did, however, suggest that I call the dispatcher to let them know
when I would be coming out again.

I also had to stop doing target practice with my .22 out there...

GK