[BC] Transmitter visits at insecure sites

Mark Earle mearle
Tue Aug 1 10:58:53 CDT 2006

I had a site in Houston, in what you would expect to be a bad part of town.
Never a problem. There was a guy who worked odd shifts, and you'd often
find him up at 3 a.m. rebuilding a Volkswagen. He'd come offer coffee - his
house was just outside the gate to the site. Nice guy. Gave him my cell and
he'd often call if he noticed anything.

More recently, I have one site with rabbits and skunks at night - so
keeping the grass mowed is important. I've had a constable or sherrif come
on property and check things out - now they know my car - and told them I
always appreciate someone checking up on my safety.

Beyond a mag-lite and/or tools I normally don't carry a weapon. Although
if  I see another skunk it's tempting! Being armed is an AF topic,
especially given consequences if you actually use it- and this varies
widely by location.

mwe

       ) )
      ( (
       ) )
    _|****|   KLTG 96.5   KOUL 103.7  KLHB 98.3  KMJR 105.5
   ( |    |   *My email account, my PC, my ISP, my opinions*
    `|____|   mearle at mearle.com           wa2mct at mearle.com