[BC] police entitlement

Barry Mishkind barry
Tue Aug 1 09:34:07 CDT 2006

Just a thought to those of you considering a response.

Because this is an issue that stirs deep emotions ... let's be
careful. The tenor of most of Dana's comments belong on the AF, and
most responses will be directed there.

That said, you are more than welcome to continue to discuss personal
security and site safety here.  This is a major issue today ... one
that many companies and "professional organizations" seem disinclined
to fully address.

Should engineers carry firearms? I know this will raise some highly
divergent responses. What *should* be and what *is* when we go out to
transmitter sites, especially at night, is not the same as it was 20+
years ago.

How many of you have sites you personally avoid after dark?
What does your company do about it?
Yes, I know, many have a "no weapon" policy. And then you get to
decide which policy/law to ignore ... and deal with consequences.

Just change the subject from this one ... and focus on the problem/solution

An important issue, as I said.

If you have particularly strong feelings ... or a desire to do
something, please email me privately.

Comments on/about politicians and elected officials will be directed to the AF.

thank you

At 07:17 AM 8/1/2006, Dana  Puopolo wrote
>These post 9/11 days, there's a: "fire, ready, aim" attitude in law
>enforcement. Even some police officers I know complain about it. Police
>officers can (and do!) literally get away with ANYTHING (unless it's caught on
>videotape). An example is this incident. They've already literally ABSOLVED
>the officer, based upon his statements. Guess what? They have no way to
>corroborate them. Why? The other person involved is DEAD!  Personally, I find
>it hard to believe the cop's entire story, based upon what I've read from
>people who knew the enginer involved (ie: he'd never been known to carry a
>gun). I wouldn't be surprised if this one is a 'throwdown'!
>
>If you don't believe that we live in a police state, think again! I read last
>week that in hs first four years in office,  Bush wrote more 'excecutive
>orders' (read: way to GET AROUND the Constitution and Bill of Rights) then

Barry Mishkind     -       Tucson, AZ    -   520-296-3797