[BC] DST

Scott Fybush scott
Mon Oct 31 17:19:28 CST 2005

At 02:31 PM 10/31/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>There was a news report out a couple months back that said Indiana had
>finally voted to go along with the rest of the nation on daylight time. So
>one more bites the dust. The holdouts are getting fewer and fewer. I don't
>recall when it is effective. It is either this change or the next.

It takes effect in the spring. There was effectively nothing to change last
night, since Indiana was on standard time all summer anyway, so the
difference will be that they'll "spring ahead" with the rest of us in a few
months.

The fight now is about which parts of the state will be on Eastern Time and
which will move to or remain on Central Time. There are decent arguments
for both camps, and the likelihood is that the ET/CT line will be moved a
few counties east of where it now sits (most of the state is now on EST,
with the counties near Chicago having been on CST/CDT and the counties near
Louisville and Cincinnati having been on EST/EDT). The big fight seems to
be around South Bend, where it's possible that South Bend itself will move
to CST/CDT while Elkhart, which is in the South Bend TV market, will be
EST/EDT, as the Michigan counties in the market already are.

I never thought half as much about time zones until I married a Hoosier!