[BC] Ed Murrow movie

Chuck Lakaytis chuck
Mon Oct 31 14:49:51 CST 2005

I have always wondered why "Tail Gunner Joe" had any success at all.  He
came out of WWII, claiming to be a decorated tail gunner.  Two reporters at
a Wisconsin paper, I think in Milwaukee, showed that not to be the truth and
wrote a big story about that.  But he still went on his merry way.

One of the reasons we had such difficulty trying to figure out Chinese
intentions in the winter of 1950 was that all of the China Experts had been
driven out of the State Department.  Men such as John Stewert Service were
driven out of public life.  When he tried to find a job the FBI would show
up at prospective employers and ask them if they knew about his background.

Years later, when Nixon went to China he invited Service along on the trip!
Sort of a belated recognition of his knowledge.

And Service became a sort of self taught engineer.  He found work in
industry and was the inventor of the Service Steam Water Trap, a device that
separates water from steam.

Historian by love, Engineer to buy groceries.

Chuck Lakaytis
Director of Engineering
Alaska Public Broadcasting, Inc.
Anchorage, Alaska