[BC] Re: Good Night, and Good Luck

dean tiernan dtiernan
Mon Oct 31 12:25:29 CST 2005

Message: 29
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:00:25 -0500
From: Jeff Johnson <jjohnson at goodnews.net>
Subject: [BC] Re: Good Night, and Good Luck

How about a discussion of the technical accuracies (or not) of the new film
"Good Night, and Good Luck"?

Jeff.Johnson at goodnews.net

********************

Ok, so whose memory of the period will provide the "reality".

All of the clips were real. Editing well in the eye of the beholder.

There is lots written about the period. I can tell you this, it provides a very chilling look at what can happen when people are afraid for their futures and "the government" begins peeking into every Patriot's actions.

I know from colleagues the very real feeling they had (once the fray was entered) of being in a fight to the finish, us and them.

Very sad that (according the movie) Eisenhower did not make strong denouncements of McCarthy until after he self destructed on CBS. Also a bit of forgotten history, Bobby Kennedy sitting on the right (camera right) end of the HUAC committee's table.

It may not be accurate in every detail, and I don't have the patience to know, but it provides a peek into the essence of a period of our history and does so in a very entertaining way. Anyone who has ever worked in a newsroom will appreciate those scenes.

Dean

--
Freedom of the press is limited to those who own one.
  - AJ Liebling