[BC] IBUZ in the nulls (Was: Absorbtion by Foliage)

Paul Smith W4KNX paul
Mon Oct 31 11:07:52 CST 2005

This could be the reason the WWJ Detroit IBOC interferes with the Lima, OH
940 and WXYT IBOC interferes with Ann Arbor, MI
Plus the other phenomenon reported here from South of Detroit sites.
Paul Smith

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net]On Behalf Of WFIFeng at aol.com
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 10:34 AM
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: [BC] IBUZ in the nulls (Was: Absorbtion by Foliage)

In a message dated 10/31/2005 09:52:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Towers at mre.com writes:

> I can't imagine the Ibiquity signals meeting the mask if the
>  reference AM carrier is used to center the mask.

Since IBUZ begins where the normal sidebands end, it will be even more
pronounced by the fact that it's frequencies are that much more removed from
carrier. (Let alone the fact that the reference -the carrier- is many db
lower.) I
don't see any way to make this thing work properly at all azimuths in a DA.
It
may be possible on paper, but not a chance in the real world.

>  My little grapevine has told me that AM IBOC is in deeper trouble at the
>  FCC than FM.

To those of us who love (and live by) AM, this is very good news! Seeing and
hearing those two 1mv/m hash signals above and below WOR is proof enough for
me that IBUZ is not the answer for AM.

Willie...