[BC] RF absorption by foliage

Ed Trombley ET
Mon Oct 31 08:35:47 CST 2005

>    OK Ed, and anyone else. My question. All this talk so far is about
> trees. There is one organization that will only cut their DA field grass
> once every two years. When I first heard this, I said, "You mean twice a
> year". Nope, only once every two years. How much does 365 to700 days
> worth of grass effect the signal? It gets about 36-48 inches tall by that time.
>
>       Tom, not doing much intentional AM these days, Bosscher

Sure, tall weeds have an effect.  I can't tell you how much.  But, I know
of two arrays, a 6 tower and an 8 tower where the phase monitor goes out of
limits when the grass gets cut.  They have logged dial settings for winter,
summer short grass, summer tall grass.

What gets me is a grape vine.  How can a grape vine grow across the base
insulator of a hot tower and not get cooked.  I've seen that many times too.

Ed Trombley

---